Wednesday, August 29, 2012

THUNDER IN THE VALLEY

  This time of year in Tucson is referred to as "monsoon season".  We are subject to occasional severe thunderstorms accompanied by lightning and thunder.  I recently spent the day on a nearby mountain - Mt Lemmon - which is some 8,000 feet higher and 25-30 degrees cooler than Tucson.  While there I was a spectator for a pretty spectacular afternoon thunderstorm over the Tucson valley.

  I was doing some testing that day with my Sony DSC-RX100 so I decided to set it up to take  video of the storm.  The short Vimeo clip below is an edited version of what I took.  I used my Casablanca to edit out the "dead space" between strikes to speed things up.  I also edited the thunder audio to better match the video.



  I was using the 1080/60i mode of the RX100.  I set the video mode to "Program" which allowed me to vary the shutter speed and aperture simultaneously, keeping the exposure constant.  For most of the video I set the shutter speed to 1/4 second.

  The next time I do this I would like to set the RX100 mode to 1080/60P which provides a 2:1 slow-motion clip on the Casablanca.  I would also try a very fast shutter speed to see how that affects the video of the lightning.

No comments:

Post a Comment