Monday, August 6, 2012

STABILITY FOR THE MASSES

  In recent postings, here and here, I discussed the great new Sony "professional" point-and-shoot digital camera, the DSC-RX100.

  The camera has received rave reviews throughout the internet.  I can attest that I love mine.  It is such a big step forward over even my beloved Sony DSC-HX9/10.  Its controls are much more dSLR-like than any small camera to date.  And it will fit in your pocket.

  Unfortunately, the small size comes at a price.  It is harder to hold steady in critical shooting applications.  Even though it is pocket sized, its outstanding image and video qualities means that it will sometimes be used in critical imaging applications.

  I recently reported on the Schneider iPro Lens System for the iPhone.  One of the great elements of that system was the capability to use the lens case as a handle for the iPhone for enhanced stability and steadiness.

  The use of the lens case as a handle for the iPhone gave me the idea for using it in a similar fashion for the RX100.  It turns out that it is ideal for that application also.  The following video shows how to use it with the RX100.



  Although I was able to use the iPro Lens System case as a handle, the idea for a handle presented in the above video could be implemented with most any camera handle with a suitable mounting.  

  I carry my iPro Lens System in my briefcase so it is virtually always at the ready for use, either with my iPhone or now, the RX100.

  You can see pricing on the iPro Lens System at either Amazon or B&H.

  Likewise you can see pricing of the Sony RX100 at either Amazon or B&H.

  Should you purchase anything at Amazon or B&H via the preceding links I will receive a small compensation that supports this blog.

PS: Most of us that have been in the photo/video business for years have the parts needed to do the above procedure.  But if you are looking for the short 1/4"x20 stud I found a source on eBay from which you can order the studs.  The knurled knob is easier to find at most any camera store or online.

No comments:

Post a Comment