Sunday, August 12, 2012

LET THERE BE (MORE) LIGHT

  About a year ago I reported on my ever-continuing search for the perfect flashlight.  Even with the variety of flashlights that I reported on at that time I still watch for new developments in flashlights as LED technology progresses.

  Well, Surefire has tempted me again with a new LED flashlight that provides a combination of capabilities that none of my other flashlights provide.

  Their recently-released P2X Fury is a palm-size flashlight that has a maximum light output greater than anything I've seen in a light this small.  It's small enough to carry in your pocket without making all the girls think you are glad to see them.  Or in a woman's purse for night-time defense.

  The photo on the right shows the size of the flashlight in compared to my medium-size hand.

  The amazing thing about this light is that it has a maximum output of 500 lumens!  It puts out a light beam that's essentially as potent as my Fenix TK45 "gorilla" light that is much bigger physically.  (The Fenix is rated at 760 lumens.)  

  I haven't included a light pattern for these two flashlights but a my subjective comparison shows essentially equal brightness. 

  Here's a picture of the Fury next to the TK45.  The Fury uses two CR123 lithium batteries compared to the eight AA lithiums that I use in the TK45.  The TK45 is about the size of a classic two D-cell flashlight.

  The Fury has two light outputs both selectable with a pushbutton at the butt of the flashlight.  The lower level is 15 lumens which is the one you'd use most for normal operations of a flashlight.  But with a quick double-click of the button you get the eye-dazzling 500 lumen beam.

  The Fury has become my "go-to" flashlight for around-the-house use.  I can stick it in my pocket when I walk the dog at night and its available for quick access if needed.  The low level setting is enough for avoiding potholes in the streets around our house and the high level would dazzle any coyote or javelina that we could encounter.  (Yes, we actually have coyotes and javelinas in our central Tucson neighborhood!)

  I put the TK45, that was previously my around-the-house light, in my car for emergency use.  Its four levels of illumination, plus strobe and SOS, gives it great flexibility for such applications.

The Surefire MSRP for the Fury is $155 but it is available at lower cost at Adorama, Amazon, and B&H.  Adorama currently offers free shipping for the light.

  (If you purchase a Fury from one of the links in the previous paragraph I will receive a small consideration.)

NOTE:  If you are more amendment 2 oriented, Surefire has just announced some "tactical" versions of this light.  You can see one of these versions here.P2X Fury™P2X Fury™P2X Fury™

No comments:

Post a Comment