Thursday, August 2, 2012

DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT PROTECTION (repeat)

[Note:  this is another in a series of postings that were originally hosted by Apple but went away when Apple cancelled mobileme.com.]

  Many of the prosumer video cameras that we use today have a external microphone built into the handle of the unit similar to the Sony HVR-EX1R shown above.  As you have undoubtedly found these microphones can be quite sensitive to the wind when they are used in an outdoors setting.  

  Although in some cases the cameras have user-settable "wind noise reduction" settings that attempt to filter out wind-caused noise they are usually not very effective.

  Here's a technique that can provide even better reduction of the problems caused by the wind.  I toddled on down to my local Radio Shack store and picked up one of their microphone wind protectors normally used on handheld mikes.

  I need the "large" version for my Sony cameras but your mileage may vary, depending on the specifics of your camera.  I have found a definite improvement when using such a wind protector during windy conditions.  I've listed a couple of sources below but your favorite audio shop probably carries a suitable unit.
 
      If you happen to purchase via these links I'll receive a small compensation.

    UPDATE

      Here's a picture of how I used a strip of foam for wind protection on cameras that have built-in, flush, mikes.  In this particular case I glued some Velcro on each end to permit ease of putting it on/taking it off.  But one could just wrap the foam around the edge of the camera and hold it in place with tape.  A commenter below mention the use of insulation foam tape to cover such mikes.

    2 comments:

    1. Somebody told me that for consumer level cameras he uses cold air insulation tape, which you can get at a Home Depot or similar store. He actually leaves the backing tape on the adhesive, to avoid gumming up the mike. He then uses that painter's tape to just affix the spongy insulation tape over the mike and that it does a good, low budget job of covering against wind noise.

      ReplyDelete
    2. That's a very good idea. I did something similar a few years ago with one of my Sony cameras with a built-in mike. I'll update this posting with a picture.

      ReplyDelete