Saturday, September 8, 2012

SUCK IT UP (updated)


[Note:  this is another in a series of postings that were originally hosted by Apple but went away when Apple cancelled mobileme.com.  It has been updated from the original posting.]

   Sometimes you need to mount a cameras or accessories in unusual places.  If the right smooth surface is available one versatile method of mounting is a suction cup.  I've used them to mount a camera on the side of a refrigerator, windows, and the the hood of an automobile.  

  Suction cups come in a variety of sizes and with a variety of available mechanisms for camera mounting in variety of positions.  Or, they can be used for mounting lights or other accessories if a smooth surface is available.

  The photo below shows some of the varieties of suction cup mounts available.  The one on the left is essentially a bare suction cup with just a threaded stud on it to which a variety of accessories can be attached.  The suction cups come in a variety of sizes from about three to 10 inches, depending on the load carrying capability needed.


  The middle two models show some of the  camera mounts available ranging from a basic ball head to a multi-dimensional arm for mounting.

  The last mount in the image above is one that I use frequently.  The suction cup is only about three inches in diameter so it is only useful for smaller cameras such as the Sony RX100 digital camera or Sony MC50 video camera.  The mount has a moveable arm for positioning the camera.  It's great for mounting a camera on the window or windshield of an automobile or to the window of a building.  I always have one of these in my travel kit.

  I also have one of the units that is second from the right above.  It has a 4.5 inch suction cup and is suitable for heavier cameras or other equipment.  The photo below shows how I used this model to mount my Sony HVR-Z1U to the windshield of the ClamCam Videomobile.



  I my suction cup mounts frequently.  I have found them very useful in many situation.

  You can see variety of suction cup mounts at Adorama, Amazon, and B&H.

2 comments:

  1. I am very happy Carroll with the GoPro suction mount that I recently bought as an accessory to the Hero 2. We were on vacation here in Northern Michigan and I attached it to the inside front windshield pointing out the front. I set the camera for anti-glare and the upside down setting and it worked smooth. As time allows, I am looking forward to attaching it to different areas of the car for other effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As cameras have gotten smaller, the usefulness of such suction cup mounts has really improved.

    Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete