Friday, April 13, 2012

VEGAS BABY!

  We have arrived in Vegas for a weekend of fun and photos/video (and a little gambling, of course).  The wife and I will take in a show and enjoy some good food before she returns home Sunday and I get revved up for  the NAB - National Association of Broadcasters - convention.  This is the show for big boy video toys.

  My recent blog posting discussed some of the new acquisition devices coming out, particularly those of the "4K" variety.

  There will undoubtedly be lots of other new gadgets to see.

  I expect that 4K-capable monitors will start appearing to go along with the new 4K cameras. 
  Even though most of us are barely into the 2K (HDTV) age, I expect there will be a continual push to higher resolutions.  I have read that there is already a 4K television standard being drafted.  But even discounting the future of higher definition television transmission, the higher resolution cameras are emerging at near prosumer pricing which makes them ideal for indie filmmakers.

  Even more efficient and cost-effective LED lighting will probably on display.  LEDs are quickly replacing incandescent lighting and as more powerful LEDs become available they are starting to encroach on HMI lighting for high power lighting applications.

  I have heard rumors that plasma lights may be starting to emerge for video and cine lighting.  These are supposed to be even more efficient than LED lights.  There may actually be some prototypes at NAB this year.  I'll watch for them although I would expect that they will be quite expensive early on.

  Unfortunately, Macrosystem representatives will not be in attendance this year.  As you recall, last year Herr Sprave had a nearby hotel suite where he met with dealers in attendance to discuss upcoming plans.  I will miss that this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment